Friday, March 8, 2013

Beginning Running Class

We live in a valley full of amazing athletes. As such, getting involved in endurance sports here can be quite daunting. Clients often tell me they "could never do that" after asking me about a run or race. The thing is, I didn't always run long distances or look the part of a long distance runner. A wise Physical Therapist often says, "you get good at what you do." I couldn't agree more. I started running to exercise my dog in high school, and over the next fifteen years, became a runner. While running is simple, there is still an element of finesse and technique. Like learning to play a musical instrument or a language, learning a new sport takes instruction, time and practice to engrain new pathways in the brain and thereby, the muscles. There are a few cues that can be the difference between feeling energized by a jaunt on the trail and exhausted, worked over, and achey.



Learning to activate stabilizing muscles 
Starting Monday the 11th, I'm teaching a six-week class to learn how to run so that you feel good or even better when you are done than when you started. It's possible, believe it or not. Because the class focuses on technique and core work, it's perfect for people who have always wanted to start running; people who ran in previous lives but haven't been able to recently; or people who run now but want to feel better when they do. This is not a class to see how fast or far you can run. If you're interested in joining in, call Winthrop Fitness at 996-8234. We'll go from 5:15-6:30 at the gym. Feel free to email me with any questions. I hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment